Monday, March 19, 2012

Skrillex

Miami Beach, FL 
December 17, 2011
 
          I thought it was appropriate to post my Skrillex experience during the week of the World Music Conference.  The World Music Conference also known as Ultra Music Festival is taking place this weekend, March 23-25, 2012, in Miami, FL.  Skrillex will be performing on the Main Stage on Friday at 9:10pm.  Sonny John Moore (Skrillex) is a master dubstepsman.  He drops beats that you can feel in your chest a week after the show.  In a genre of music with copy cat artists and unoriginal sounds, he stands out.  I see Skrillex as being before his time.  His time being about fifty years in the future.  I picture teenagers in silver studded suits, dyed hair and piercings living on the moon someday listening to his music.  The sound that comes out of the speakers when he takes the stage is simply space aged.  If I could compare it to something I would.  For me it is very enjoyable to watch someone so good at their craft.  To quote Beavis and Butthead, "he warps space and time."  That's what it feels like.  That's what it sounds like.  It is always a successful evening when filled with loud music, laughter, dancing and great company.  I know this sounds rather vague but there are not words in existence to describe what Skrillex sounds like.  Sometimes you have to hear something for yourself.  Not only was the music mind blowing but the stage set up was from the future too.  His clothing or actual body was rigged with sensors that controlled a giant robot on the screen behind him.  It looked as though a huge futuristic robot was playing the show for us.  He moved, the robot moved.  I had never seen anything like it.  When I see someone really reach their audience I always say, "He knows what he's doing." He does.  If you're not into dubstep Skrillex may be a little harsh for your taste but if you listen with an open mind you may just see the future.          
Me in pink at Skrillex
    
12th Planet

          12th Planet was the opening act for Skrillex.  He's closer to house than dubstep.  I had never heard of him before the show and I left a fan.  12th Planet is also playing Ultra Music Festival on Saturday at the UMF Brazil stage at 5:00pm.  

Skrillex and 12th Planet 


This is what he looks like up close.


Skrillex Discography:

Studio Albums:
2012: Voltage

Extended plays:
2010: My Name Is Skrillex
2010: Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites
2011: More Monsters and Sprites
2011: Bangarang

Be sure to check out videos from this show and others I've been to on my YouTube channel!  http://www.youtube.com/user/AJourneyThroughMusic?feature=guide

Side note: The delay in my blog output has a direct correlation with me being in my last year of law school.  I currently have 54 days until graduation (May 12, 2012)!  Unfortunately after I graduate I will be studying for the bar and there will be a severe drop off in concert attendance and fun in general.  I am actually missing bonnaroo this year for the first time in six years, as well as a Tim McGraw show.  Ugh.  More on this later. 


No comments:

Post a Comment